I have erred. I have been conflating two important definitions, which in turn, made the civilization gene more confusing and abrasive to peoples unrelated personal politics. I was conflating faith and insight into one role. My view of the concepts remain but it should be easier to explain new ideas now.
Here are the new definitions.
- Metamind – The conscience and the subconscious as one. Organizes unlike things via emotional content. A risk engine. The source of the imagination. A passively driven relational database that groups memories by emotional likeness. Produces insights on matches. The mental structure psychopaths lack.
- Insight – A flash of information from the metamind. Sometimes a risk warning. Not always correct, but faster than rational thought. Can be supernatural or provable.
- Rational thought – A traceable waking thought process. Typically thought of as a provable thought process, but rarely including enough variables to live up to that. The rational thought process can be used to prove, disprove, or carry insights.
- Rationalization – Rationally discerning the logical meaning of an emotional signal from the metamind. Determining if insight is correct, incorrect, or currently un-knowable. Searchable via complex emotions
- Faith – A carried insight. A failure to rationalize. Knowing something you can not prove. It can be supernatural (unprovable) or plausibly provable.
- Reason – How empaths (non-psychopaths) think. The combination of insights, faiths and rational thoughts.
- Belief – Wishing something is true. Possibly an unchallenged (un-rationalized) insight, possibly a rationally contrived fantasy. A common, inferior, substitute for reason.
Here is a simple explanation of how a faith is created from insight.
- Metamind signals an [insight].
- The rational mind works the insight over and decides true/untrue/unknown. [rationalization]
- The human decides the insight is unknown. [faith creation]
- Then depending on if they ‘know their self’ and ‘trust their instincts’ They may store the faith and consider it in future decisions. [incorporation]
I have a long road ahead updating all articles discussing faith with the new terminology. I will be proceeding from newest to oldest. I’ll drop another post when the work is done. Please refer to the Glossary in the menu bar as authoritative, and then articles from newest to oldest.
If you find this or any error please let me know. All assistance and feedback is appreciated.
Edit 12/29/18: Added in an explanation of how faiths are created.
Edit 1/4/18: Improved definitions. Less muddy.